The recall or "COME" command is the golden command that all dog owners strive for...it's the one that can save your dog's life. Everybody wants it, yet most pet dog owners struggle with it. But I have a secret....
IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME! (hahhaa....seriously, no pun intended!?!)
Take the challenge, today, to build, repair or maintain your recall by following a few simple steps:
DOZEN-A-DAY RECALL CHALLENGE:
For the next seven days, call your dog a dozen times a day. With each recall, provide a different food reward for coming...do not deviate from this instruction!
Tips for success:
- Name precedes command (ex. Bailey, come!).
- Be sure to use an inviting voice when giving your command!
- Begin with very short distances for no reason at all.
- Lack of response means your distraction levels are too high, your distance needs to be shorter or you're just not offering enough "fun"!
- Always pet your dog and pair a smile and emotion with your food reward.
- Add in 30 seconds of toy play with that food treat for an extra reinforcer!
- Each recall should be at least 2 minutes apart.
- Never, never call your dog to do something that he may deem as unrewarding.
Paws UP, my friends!
Kimberly Burgan, CPDT-KA
Kimberly Burgan Dog Training | Austin, TX